Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Juggler

I've been struggling over the past few days and it may help for me to put it out there.

Have you ever seen one of those jugglers that juggle like 20 different objects?  They're awesome to watch.  Everything is going in the smooth circle and it doesn't make sense how a single person can juggle that many items.  If the juggler drops even 1 object though, they lose balance and everything falls to the ground in a big, fantastic, chaotic mess.  It seems they can't just drop 1 item and throw it back into the loop or just move on without it.  Somehow dropping the 1 item starts a chain reaction and the rest follow very quickly.  So, the juggler can start over again.  Pick up one item at a time and start slowly to build back up to the original 20 and everything starts to go smoothly again.  Although, sometimes, the juggler is too flustered after dropping everything they can't seem to get things going again.  They just keep dropping items.

The analogy of the above juggler feels like me sometimes.  I juggle so much in my life and as long as I stay on top of everything life is good and everything runs smoothly, but if I "drop" something, it starts a chain reaction and my whole life seems to crash.  I start to rebuild everything and we continue.  It's just this big cycle for me.  Only this time, I'm the juggler that's too flustered and I just keep dropping everything.  It doesn't help that I have very little say in what I control.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed and flustered at the moment.  Every little thing that goes wrong now, I get all emotional and start crying.  I missed an employee meeting the other day.  In all the time I've worked there, I've never missed even 1 meeting.  I'm always on time to the meetings, sometimes even early.  But somehow I mixed things up on my calendar and it didn't get entered correctly.  I know I entered it, but it wasn't there come time for the meeting.  I checked all over my little electronic calendar and was unable to locate it.  (My husband and I joked that it's going to show up in 6 years)  My boss wasn't mad at all about it.  She laughed it off, said I've never missed a meeting before and she's glad I was OK, because when I didn't show up, she was worried.  She gave me the information I needed from the meeting and every thing's fine now.  Except I started crying when I realized I'd missed the meeting.

My husband's work is talking about changing every body's schedule and this has me stressed too.  I started crying when he told me.

I started crying when my husband's ex wife said she was going to move her vacation because she couldn't afford to go when she planned.  This could throw a huge wrench in our summer plans and she could try to prevent us from going on our trip.  (This is the exact reason I hate straying from the court order as far as schedule is concerned).

My co-workers and clients at work aren't helping either.  My boss has actually had to tell me, what they

And it seems to me that I have to fight, dig in my heels and refuse to budge if I am going to put myself anywhere on my priority list.  No one in my life takes no for an answer from me because they're all so used to me taking care of them and making their lives easier.  I don't want to be mean but I feel like I have to in order to just take care of myself for once.

The people at church are even making me feel guilty.  I want to drop a volunteer opportunity I've been doing because it's a stress now with my family and if I get this new job (fingers still crossed), I won't be able to do it anymore because I won't get off work in time.  They're making me feel guilty and telling me I can take this other job I really don't want and I could still do it.

I'm just glad my husband will be home tonight.  I need him today.

8 comments:

  1. Deep breaths! Lean on your loving husband. Try talking through all your stress with him & things will work out. Don't let people pressure you into doing something that you don't want to. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am such a people pleaser it's so hard for my not to be guilt ed into doing something I don't really want to do. And that's why I'm thankful for my husband. He looks out for me. :)

      Delete
  2. You shouldn't feel bad about making your family and yourself top priority. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now, but I am sure that you'll feel better once your man is home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to feel bad about it. It just all catches up with me at once and I have an emotional break down.

      Delete
  3. Oh Suzie, what a big bunch of stressful things to deal with. I had in my head a picture of a juggler with too many bowling pins. Sooner or later, no matter how good he/she is, one of them will bonk him on the head. Don't be too hard on yourself. You cannot handle all of this at the same time and especially when your guy isn't home. I hope he was able to envelop you in his arms and that a bunch of the stress just fell away. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie, my husband does take good care of me when I start to feel like I'm drowning in my stress.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Suzie. It sounds like maybe you need a good stress relief spanking, some cuddling, TLC, and perhaps a gentle-but-stern talking-to about what is your responsibility and what isn't. One thing D and I do is set up responsibilities for me that day. I get punished for not doing them, but at the same time I'm not allowed to worry about other things. Or have you heard of setting aside "worry time" each day? You give yourself a certain amount of time to worry (maybe by taking a walk, maybe by journaling, maybe something else) each day, and that's it. No more.

    Hugs to you...when we feel taken advantage of and weary, it's our body telling us that we need to make some major changes. It won't be easy, but if you are this run down it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, John tells me I'm not allowed to worry about anything he doesn't approve of. Sometimes, I don't even realize I'm worrying about something until I'm on the verge of a total mental breakdown. I think this was the case this time.

      Delete