Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Dd Conversation

Sometimes when people think of Dd, they think of spanking or a list of rules and consequences.  Today, I would like to share with you a conversation we had yesterday that really brought to our attentions the whole dynamic of Dd.

We've been dealing with a certain behavioral issue with our son for a while now and I had come up with a disciplinary method we could try.  I brought it up to John and he agreed it sounded like a good idea, so we went with it.  The problem is that when it comes to our son, John tries to deal with him on his own and keep me completely out of the loop, so he never told me when John Jr was in trouble so that I could enforce our agreed upon discipline.  Then, yesterday, John Jr did it again and John stepped in to deal with it leaving me completely unaware there was an issue, but instead of utilizing my disciplinary method, he came up with one on his own without even discussing it with me.  When he told me about the punishment he had dealt our son, I was hurt and I snapped at him "Really!?  Really?!"  then walked off. 

I could have stayed and yelled at him about how he had completely disregarded my ideas and made his own, but instead I knew I was heated and left the conversation.  John could have taken my leaving as a symbol of my disrespect for him but instead he went in to our room and calmly yet firmly called me in there.  He didn't become defensive at all as he would have done pre-Dd.  When he called me, I didn't want to go, I wanted to sit in the other room and fume at him, but I knew he was the HOH and when  he summons me to the bedroom I had better go.  So I went.  He started off by saying that any attitude would not be tolerated, but that he was willing to discuss the matter with me further.  We did calmly and he realized that he had hurt my feelings my coming up with his own solution without discussing it with me after we agreed on another solution. 

We came up with a compromise that would allow him to not take back what he had already set as a punishment but instead limit it for the day, continue on with my idea for the time frame we agreed on and in the future, John will be sure to let me know if John Jr is in trouble so I can enforce it.  He agreed to give it another chance and if he feels it's not working to discuss other disciplinary options with me before handing them out.

I know this sounds so mundane, but pre-Dd, this situation could have played out completely differently.  It could have included yelling and screaming hurtful words, slamming doors, stomping off and sulking, the silent treatment, eventual tears, then we would have been back in the bedroom but crying trying to figure out how to take back the precious 24 hours and fix what we hurt in our relationship and our son's behavior would have gone unpunished in the midst of all that.

Sometimes Dd isn't just about spanking and rules, sometimes it means one person can take charge of a disagreement and steer the conversation in a more respectful direction.

10 comments:

  1. Yes exactly! TTWD changes the way we interact, our intentions when we do things, our overall perspective. I think these kinds of posts are important b/c they point out how things change in the day to day dynamics of a household and it goes both ways. Both partners change.

    Zoe wrote a fun post the other day about doing laundry and how it has become an act of love.

    This stuff is great and hey, it makes you better parents to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I posted this because I thought it was important to show that Dd is about a whole new way of life and not just spankings and rules but it's a whole new way of life.

      I'm not familiar with Zoe's blog, which one is it?

      Delete
  2. Great post, Suzie. I agree, the posts that get the most views on our blog have a spanking tag, but that's only a small part of it.

    To Ward & I what you illustrate here is exactly what it is, communication, transparency, openness, and respect with reciprocity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, June. I guess my blog can be pretty "boring" because I don't get punishments very often, but I don't want to get punished, I want to be the best me I can be for my husband and my family.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes. Things like this are exactly why I love "ttwd". :) Glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! This why I love ttwd also. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Suzie, Zoe here. Love this post and as Susie said I wrote a post about how something as mundane as laundry is different now. The whole dynamic changes. I'm guess I stopped by at a good time:)
    So happy that Dd gave you the framework to make an otherwise tricky situation manageable.
    My blog is uniquelydifferentlife.wordpress.com if you want to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome, Zoe! Thank you for dropping by and giving me your blog address. I can't wait to read it.

      Delete
  5. You are so right. I almost could have written this post. Lol. I so agree with you about how the dynamics and the communication is what seems to have changed the most since we started dd. I am glad to see that I am not the only one. Glad to see that your husband responded so positively

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely nice to know that we're not the only one. I'm glad that you enjoyed this post, I wasn't sure if I should post this, but I decided it was important to show the whole picture.

      Delete