Wednesday, May 23, 2012

In Response to JJ

JJ at Waiting for Mr. HOH asked a question on her blog.  She asked "Is marriage first? If so, how do you make that clear to your children? Of course there are times when you have to put your children first (when they broke their arm and you need to take them to the hospital instead of making dinner for your dear HOH, etc.) So I guess my main question is how do you find that balance? Is this a discussion you and your husband have ever had to have? How does this influence DD?"

Here's my answer:

We discussed this at length when we went through premarital counseling and I'd like to share what I learned here.  Before John and I met, we felt there was no way anyone would ever come before our children.  Our children were a part of our lives first and they would be more important than our spouse.  We knew the model of God first, spouse second and children third but we had no intentions of living by that even though we were both Christians and we weren't going to marry anyone who didn't understand our children would come first.

In premarital counseling though we discussed how, yes we should put our spouse first but we should marry someone who wouldn't make us choose between the two.  We also discussed that the relationship and the love you have for your spouse is not the same as the love you have for your children.  So it's more like we're comparing apples and oranges here.

Our pastor described the concept of spouse first and children second as not allowing your children to play parents against each other.  That we should provide a united front to the children and not allow them to come in between us.  This in turn gives them a sense of stability.  If your spouse hands out a discipline to a child that the child feel is excessive they may try to convince you of it.  If you agree with the child then you and the child can get into a discussion about how daddy's so unfair, you may not back his decision and your child and you sort of go behind his back and unrestrict the child.  This creates a feeling in your spouse that what he says is not important in the household, if this is something that continues for a period of time, your spouse will spend time other places that make him feel important.  The better choice is to explain to your child that this is what dad has decided is fair and uphold his decision.  If you feel he was unfair, you may discuss the issue with him behind closed doors, away from the child.


I feel like since we're in a blended family situation, it is actually even more important that we keep each other as top priority.  There are several reasons I feel this way.  One is because we didn't have that time before kids to cultivate a strong marriage, another reason is that both sets of step kids feel like their step-parent has encroached on their territory.  We were 2 set up families with 2 ways of doing things, so when we blended the families, each family had to give up some of their routine.  This made both kids feel like the other family "ruined" their lives, causing each to act out to the step-parent and to tell their bio parent that the step-parent was doing mean things to them.  Also, since it was just my husband and my stepdaughters before us and me and my kids before them, the kids weren't used to sharing their parent, now they have to share with more kids and another adult.  Frequently I've been shoved away from my husband by a step-daughter.  If they had their way, John and I would have no physical contact while they were here.  In the beginning I felt like every other week I stopped being a wife.  Of course I discussed this with my husband and we've worked on it with the kids.


She also asked how we make it clear to our kids.  We've sat down and had discussions with them about how the parent/child relationship is different then that of a spouse.  (we spoke in kids terms).  We talked to them about how everyone is born with the capacity to love the whole world as Jesus has so the fact that our family has gotten bigger just means there's more love in the family.  We have date nights, but I also work diligently to find fun unique things to do with the kids as well.  We also make one-on-one time with our bio kids so they don't feel as abandoned.  We have made it clear that if John and I are in our room with the door shut, they are to leave us alone.


Closing thoughts:
Without the marriage, there would be no family, but once an adult has children they now have a responsibility to that child to raise and nurture him/her to be a good adult.  If you don't nurture your marriage while the children are still growing, then what will you be left with when the children move out?  (this is what my parents experienced, I was an adult when they divorced).

10 comments:

  1. What an interesting question! When DH and I first got together and decided to have children, he always said marriage comes first and I agreed with that. OF course having my first child, there was absolutely nothing more important than her. Now that she is older, and has a younger sister though, I know what DH meant, and I do agree with him now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting question. Being a blended family, I'm thankful we explored this concept at length during premarital counseling. It's a concept not fully understood by young people including me.

      Delete
  2. That is a good question. And an awesome answer. My husband was also an adult when his parents divorced (after all the kids moved out). There is different times when it seems like you have no time for your spouse because the kids are taking up so much time. Make the time for your spouse. Your love for your children will always be. But you chose your spouse and you need to nurture that relationship every day. You have handled the blending of your families really well. KUDOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blondie. Our children are young so they require a lot of care and attention right now, but we have to find that time to be in an adult relationship also.

      Delete
  3. WOW! Thank you so much! This is an issue I have been wrestling with and I really appreciate this answer! I have a very close friend who has put her kids first FOR YEARS and teamed up with them against her husband like you say, and her kids will be leaving the house very soon and I don't know what her and her husband are going to do. It's like they don't even know each other anymore because her life was so made around the kids.

    I think a big key is backing each other up, but also to make personal time for each other like you said. Thanks for giving me things to think about! I really appreciate this answer and I greatly respect you for making your blended family work. I know it isn't always easy but I bet when your kids all get older they will be very thankful for all the adults in the situation working hard to try and make it the best for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, JJ! I'm glad I was able to help you.

      I think when the kids get older, they will see how much we did for them and appreciate the stability we tried to give them even though they all have very unstable lives.

      Delete
  4. Suzie, you explained this well. I agree, a couple has to make their relationship a priority for many reasons. One, they are modeling marriage for their children. Two, it is the foundation of the family and if it crumbles the children will most definitely suffer. Three, to keep the friendship strong because after the children are grown it will be back to the two of you, and that is no time to "discover" each other.

    We believe there is a lot of security for children in knowing that our marriage is strong and firm, even flirty and fun. In knowing that our world doesn't just revolve around them. Of course, often it does! They are children! So having a bit of time each day when they can practice being patient, and watch us nurture our adult relationship is important.

    There are times we reach out for a quick hug or kiss or cuddle as they go by, but they know the entire focus isn't on them right then. But at the same time they know they are dearly loved and they are part of a strong family unit with us at the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stormy! Modeling marriage for out children is not something I had actually thought of before but I agree with.

      Delete
  5. I think...I hope...that when we have children we will continue to keep the health of our marriage first. I do agree with you that it is Biblical and in the end, I think it is healthiest for raising children who see that they are unconditionally loved but not the very center of the universe.

    A friend of mine who has teenagers told me the other day that she just realized that in some ways, she's raising her grandchildren. As teens, she's teaching her kids how to parent through her own example. I thought that was neat. In the same way, our children will or will not see what a mature, healthy marriage will look like in the way it has been modeled by their parents.

    LOL Suzie, sorry about the small book for a comment. Thanks for writing this...I enjoy things that make me think a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie! I never thought of it as raising my grandchildren, but it's so true. Our children learn by our example and that's something I always keep in mind. What am I teaching them and are they going to be OK in the adult world.

      Don't worry about the book, I like the long comments, it makes me feel like I said something meaningful :)

      Delete