Friday, March 2, 2012

My Husband the Drummer

My husband's a drummer...well not really but he was pretending to be one last night while he gave me a maintenance spanking.  Seriously, he was drumming out a rhythm on my bottom.  I was voicing my objections to the spanking while at the same time caught up in the rhythm of the beat and amused by his sudden interest in percussion.  Who says you can't have fun with this DD stuff?

Anyways, last weekend I got to spend some quality girl time with a really good friend of mine.  We got manis and pedis then went shopping.  I did break down and tell her about John and I having a DD marriage and what then ment and she didn't seem shocked at all, in fact she said it wasn't weird.  It's awesome to have a friend in "real life" I can talk to about this stuff.

So John has told me already that one of his rules would be that I would keep my ringer on my phone unless I talk to him first minus a few occasions when it's obvious I should turn my ringer off like at work, in a meeting, at church, or at a movie theater.  You see I have a habit of turning my ringer off then forgetting to turn it back on, so then I miss calls (especially from John) or I misplace it and we can't call it to find it because the ringer is off.  So I went out with my friend and while at the nail salon, I turned my phone on vibrate then threw it in my purse.  Perfectly acceptable I would have it on vibrate while at the nail salon, but afterwards I forgot to turn it back on.  John called me twice to see if I would pick him up something for him to take to work that night for dinner and to see if I would be home before he left because there was something he needed in the car.  Oops!  I knew when my friend said my husband had texted HER to have me call him, then I seen that I had 2 missed calls from him and a voicemail, that I was in trouble.  So, I called him.  Here's how the conversation went:

John: Hi honey, what're you doing?

Me: Umm...sorry I missed your call...

John: Yeah, what is your ringer set as?

Me: Vibrate

Him: What is it supposed to be?

Me: On

Him: yeah, you know what that means?

Me: Yeah

Him: Yeah

He was so serious and comfortable in this instance.  It really felt real.  From what I've read, this isn't a unique problem to us that it takes some time before it feels real.  The conversation continued as normal.  I headed home after the phone call because we were just about done anyways and I knew I was already in trouble I didn't want to push the issue. 

I was nervous, we already addressed the issue about not puting punishment off for too long, but I knew he wouldn't have time to give me a proper punishment before work, but I didn't want him to let it go either.  I had no idea what was going to happen but none of the possible situations in my mind was what we discussed for punishment.  When I got home, we did the quick hellos, showed everybody my freshly painted nails, then John and I headed into the bedroom to discuss things.  He explained he didn't want me fretting over waiting for punishment, but he didn't think it would be a good idea to just let it go.  He had already come up with what he felt was a fair way to handle this situation.  He gave me 6 hard swats with an implement I don't like and a lecture about why it was important.  If I hadn't had my friend with me with her phone on, I may not have made it home before he went to work.

I'm so glad we're growing and this is getting easier.  I know we still have a ways to go, but I think we've made some progress.  We're still struggling to find a routine that works for us.  We did have a long discussion about what's holding us back the other night and hopefully we'll continue to move forward with this.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Suzie,

    Welcome to blogging! My husband does that rhythmic drumming thing on my bottom too. I have to guess the song:)

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warm welcome! I luckily did not have to guess the tune since I'm pretty sure he made it up as he went.

      Delete